Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Today in Glenmoore 2-16-11

A Philosophical Question
Do fish cry?  Have you ever wondered about this?  Does this keep you awake at night?  The last few nights I keep waking up and asking myself - if a fish cries does it change the salinity of the water?  Do salt water fish cry fresh water tears, etc.  The questions go on forever.

But at the essence of my futile late night mental wanderings was the core question - do fish have emotions?  I even expanded this line of reasoning to jelly fish, star fish, sea urchins and sea horses - but I had to stop - I couldn't go there without self-imploding.

On a recent visit to the National Aquarium in Baltimore (I mean really - we are talking about "the National" one, no ordinary Camden variety), we were shocked to find the lead items in the cafeteria to be fish sandwiches and fish and chips.  This is the equivalent of serving Korean BBQ at the Westminster Dog Show.

Think about it, all these incredible species of fish, yanked out of their natural habitats, forced to live in tanks with artificial reefs watching overweight humans stumble around with remnants of Filet-O-Fish sandwiches dripping from their jowls.  I suspect that at night they play the Filet-O-Fish sound track at high volumes just to torture the captives (imagine the video below played all night at excruciating volume).  Dolphins screaming, "turn it off, turn it off, I promise to catch the ball tomorrow and jump through the rings".  Yes, fish do cry.

Laurie
Well, after months of perplexing doctor visits, conflicting information and a roller coaster of emotions we finally got some encouraging news.  First, we met with "Da Man" at the University of Maryland Medical Center. The first person we have spoken to who actually knows something about this disease.  15 years leading a research team on it at NIH and now continuing to research and treat at U of MD.  Dude was smart and likable.  Laurie even liked his natty attire.  I think she has a Doc crush going on.

Basically the message was - Laurie is a perfect candidate for the surgery given her young age (I'm not kidding) and should have a good quality of life after the surgery.  There are some ifs, buts and ands but generally the word was good.

Then today we got the results of the recent scan - no recent growth since December and the fluids are down. All this is great news and further confirms the surgery will be successful.

Only set back was a low white cell count today which will be corrected with meds next week so we're off a week in our treatment schedule.  Surgery will be scheduled once Laurie completes current regimen.

Paul and Laurie
We wound up celebrating Valentines Day a bit early with a great meal on Thursday in Baltimore.  Restaurant sent a stretch limo for us.  We both had fish without regret in preparation for our visit to the aquarium the next day.  Luckily we showered and removed the remnants from our jowls prior to entering the aquarium.  However, Laurie did have a bit of crab shell stuck between her teeth.  I think that is why the Archer fish spit at her.

Today's Quote
I just couldn't resist this one.

Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh my God....I could be eating a slow learner.

No comments:

Post a Comment